Microsoft Dynamics AX and Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations (F&O) are fundamentally the same software under various names.
Microsoft Dynamics AX was the previous version, which was rebranded as Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations (F&O) with the release of Dynamics 365.
The move to Dynamics 365 resulted in a cloud-first approach that provided users with a more integrated and scalable solution.
In essence, Dynamics 365 F&O is an extension and continuation of the Microsoft Dynamics AX features.
Ten differences between Microsoft dynamics AX and Microsoft dynamics F&O?
1. Name and Branding: In later editions, Dynamics AX was rebranded as Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations (Dynamics 365 F&O).
2. Integration and Modularity: Dynamics AX was a monolithic ERP system, but Dynamics 365 F&O is part of the Dynamics 365 portfolio, allowing for modular deployment alongside other Dynamics 365 apps.
3. Cloud-Based Deployment: Dynamics AX was built for on-premises server deployment, whereas Dynamics 365 F&O is geared for cloud deployment via Microsoft Azure.
4. User Interface: Compared to the earlier Dynamics AX interface, Dynamics 365 F&O has a more modern and user-friendly interface, delivering a better user experience.
5. Updates and Customization: Dynamics 365 F&O uses a continuous update approach with regular releases, which allows for faster access to new features. Customizations are handled differently as well, with a greater emphasis on extensions.
6. Licensing Structure: The Dynamics 365 F&O licencing strategy is based on a subscription model, which provides greater flexibility than the traditional licencing method of Dynamics AX.
7. Power Platform Integration: Dynamics 365 F&O is now more firmly connected with the Power Platform, allowing customers to take advantage of Power BI, Power Apps, and Power Automate for greater analytics and customization.
8. Artificial Intelligence and Analytics: Compared to Dynamics AX, Dynamics 365 F&O contains more advanced AI and analytics capabilities, enabling for improved data-driven decision-making.
9. Mobile Access: Dynamics 365 F&O is mobile-friendly, allowing users to access important capabilities on a variety of devices, encouraging flexibility and productivity.
10. Lifecycle Services (LCS): LCS in Dynamics 365 F&O improves capabilities for managing the application lifecycle, including implementation, maintenance, and support stages, hence improving overall system management.
Remember that the details may differ depending on the versions you’re comparing, as both Dynamics AX and Dynamics 365 F&O have grown over time.