The strategic analysis knowledge area describes the business analysis work that identifies a strategic need, addresses that need and aligns the strategic of the organization with the necessary change.
Here are a few sample CBAP/CCBA questions and answers in that knowledge area
Instruction: Read the questions carefully and choose the BEST options.
- Glen is carrying out strategy analysis tasks and at the point of deciding which techniques he would use. He came across the following definitions of the likely techniques: 1) to understand the scope of work and break the solution scope into smaller work products or deliverables. 2) It depicts the scope of work required to integrate the new solution into business and technical environments. 3) Identifies appropriate boundaries for the solution scope 4) describes the stakeholders and the goals the system support and as such can also be used to define the solution scope. As an experienced BA, give the correct order of these definitions:
A. User stories, scope modeling, interface analysis, functional decomposition
B. Functional decomposition, Interface analysis, scope modeling, user stories
C. User stories, scope modeling, functional decomposition, interface analysis,
D. Functional decomposition, scope modeling, Interface analysis, user stories
- Melissa is the Business analyst assigned to perform the define solution scope task, she however could not complete the task as one of the input was not ready. Which of the following could be what she was waiting for?
A. Business Case
B. Solution Approach
C. Transition requirements
D. Organization Process Assets
- An organization’s business objective should fulfill the following criteria except?
A. It should be related to the organization’s mission, vision and values
B. It should be feasible
C. It should be competitive
D. It should have an observable outcome
- Business need is not an input to any of the tasks in one of the following knowledge areas.
A. Strategy Analysis
C. Requirements Analysis
D. Requirement Management and Communication
- Cara the project sponsor reviewed the business case and stated that the business case was inadequate and could not make a decision. What type of information could have been missing in the business case?
A. Information to support prioritizing requirements
B. Information stating how the requirements would be verified
C. Information to support a go/no go decision
D. List and roles of Stakeholders
- Linda is performing document analysis, one of the following steps will not be performed
A. Study the material
B. Meet with the SMEs to review/ ask questions
C. Locate and evaluate relevant system and business requirements
D. Tracing requirements
- When performing Initial risk assessment the following except one is addressed.
A. Will the stakeholders on the project work efficiently
B. Can an organizational change be done effectively to realize the solution benefits
C. Will the new technology scale up to the performance required
D. Will there be a budget overrun.
- Required capabilities is an input into tasks in the following knowledge areas
A. Strategic Analysis and Business Analysis Planning and Monitoring
B. Business Analysis Planning & Monitoring and Requirements Analysis
C. Requirements Analysis and Strategy Analysis
D. Solution Assessment & Validation and Business Analysis Planning & Monitoring
- Where would the sponsor go to find the information necessary to make a go/no go decision for a proposed project?
A. Business case
B. Solution scope
C. Business need
D. Solution approach
- All of the following except ———— is not an input to define business case
A. Business Need
B. Solution Approach
C. Solution Scope
D. Stakeholder Concerns
- ————— is the type of requirement produced by the Strategy Analysis Knowledge area
A. Unconfirmed requirement
B. Transition requirement
C. Non- functional requirement
D. Business requirement
- Marvin a Business analyst has decided what is in-scope and out-of-scope, which of the following technique did Marvin use?
A. Data modeling
B. Scope Modeling
C. User Modeling
D. Process modeling
- The way a business need is defined does not determine which
A. Stakeholders are consulted
B. Capability gaps are assessed
C. Alternative solutions are considered
D. Solution approaches are evaluated
- Lisa , a business analyst is assessing an organization’s existing capabilities relative to a specific business need. Which of the following elements will not be involved?
A. Assess new capability requirement
B. Analyze current capabilities
C. Document stakeholder concerns
D. Document Assumptions
- You are initiating a new business analysis project to improve a workflow process, which of the following would not be a recommended practical solution?
A. Changing the Business Process
C. Purchasing SharePoint
D. Building an in-house solution
- What part of defining the business need process will evaluate the end that the organisation is seeking to achieve
A. Solution Assessment
B. Project Scope
C. Business goal and objectives
- The type of business analysis approach that focuses on the rapid delivery of business value in short term iteration is
A. Business – driven
B. Plan – driven
C. Change – driven
D. Focus – driven
- Which of the following statements best describes the role of the Domain SME when defining solution scope?
- A. Measures the business analysis performance
- B. Modeling the scope of the potential solutions.
- C. Approval of the business case
- D. Provide Estimates to the project manager
- Defined business need will help an organisation to:
A. Identify opportunities to take advantage of and problems to be solved
B. Formulate rules an organisation can enforce as a policy
C Document dependencies and interrelationship among requirement
D. Ensure that models meet the necessary standard of quality
- The purpose of generating Business Need is to achieve the following except
A To address the problem with the current state of a process
B. To define major features, functions and interactions of a proposed
C. To generate information needed to make sound decision
D. To achieve strategic goal
- Kevin is working as an strategy analyst on an initiative. He is trying to conceptualize in enough detail, a solution recommended by his company’s vendor so as to enhance stakeholders’ understanding of the new business capabilities this initiative will deliver. What task is Kevin performing?
A. Define Solution Scope
B. Assess Capability Gaps
C. Define Business Need
D. Determine Solution Approach
- Strategy analysis is essential in Business Analysis activities because of the following except
A. Determine most feasible business solution approach
B. Define and document business requirement
C. Define solution scope and develop business case
D. Develop model of current state of an organisation
- Strategy Analysis output provide context to
A. Solution Assessment
B. Business Case
C. Solution Identification
D. Capability gap analysis
- You are newly employed business analyst and your first assignment is to determine why the current organization architecture was not able to produce result that will fulfill organizations goal and produce expected result. Which BA task are you supposed to review and analyse
A. Define Business Need
B. Assess Capability Gap
C. Determine Solution Approach
D. Define Solution Scope
- Liam is a BA working on a project. He is at a point of taking a decision and he decides to analyse various options available to him. Which of these is not a reason for such analysis
- A. To be aware of the consequences of each possible option
- B. To avoid Scope Creeping
- C. To determine the areas of uncertainties that may affect his decision
- D. To determine the values, goals and objectives of the decision relevant to project
- Wrap-up will produce the following result except
- A. Obtain answers to follow-up questions
- B. Organise information into requirement format
- C. Review and confirm the selected details with the subject matter expert
- D. Ensure speedy and timely delivery of a project
- A customer has approached you as an organization’s BA requesting that your company create a new software that will assist them in collecting customers information. In regard to strategy analysis, this business need stem from which one of the following need generation
- A. Top-Down
- B. External Driver
- C. Bottom-up
- D. Middle management
- You are a business analyst for your organization and are in the process of creating the solution approach for technology problem. Which one of the following definitions best describes the solution approach?
- A. Decomposes the project scope into smaller deliverables; each deliverable is subdivided repeatedly until the deliverable cannot or should not be broken down any further
- B. It is an uncertain event or condition that may have a positive or negative impact on the abilities of the chartered project
- C. Defines the general approach that will be taken to create or acquire new capabilities required to meet the business need
- D. It is the documentation and control of changes to the product scope as approved by the project stakeholder
- You are working with several business analysts to determine the solution approach for identified problem. All of the following techniques are acceptable for identifying the solution approach except for which one?
- A. Risk analysis
- B. Decision analysis
- C. Benchmarking
- D Brainstorming
- Ben is the business analyst for his company. Ben and his business analysis team are currently using a business analysis approach to determine what the competition of his organization is offering prospective client. He is trying to identify solution to increase revenue by remaining competitive with the competition. What business analysis approach are Ben and his team using
- A. Benchmarking
- B. Focus groups
- C. Functional decomposition
- D. Business rules analysis
- What describes the specific end results an organization is seeking to achieve and the measures to objectively assess if these end results have been achieved?
A. Business Goal
B. Business Case
C. Business Objective
D. Business Need
- The following are the four elements to be addressed in every business case?
- Which of the following is a technique used in determining solution approach?
B. SWOT Analysis
D. All of the above
- The following except ONE describes the business analysis activities within the strategy analysis knowledge area:
A. Analysis of the business situation to fully understand opportunities or problems
B. Analyze Current State for the needed change to meet business needs or achieve strategic goals
C. Business case and solution scope definition for a proposed solution
D. Meeting stakeholders to gather requirements for the business problem / opportunity.
- The process of determining the justification of the investment required to deliver a propose solution is detailed in the business case and may include the following:
A. The company to buy the solution from
B. The year the solution was produced
C. Similar companies that are using the same solution
D. Quantitative and qualitative benefits
- The approach in which business need is defined determines all except ONE of the following:
A. Stakeholders to be consulted
B. How many interview sessions to be held
C. Solution approaches to be evaluated
D. Alternative solutions for consideration
- Which of the following is an example of a business goal?
A. To increase profit by 10% in 12 months
B. To increase revenue customer
C. To acquire security software within a month
D. To reduce turnaround time by 20%
- Which of the following statements best describes the role of a Project manager in defining solution scope?
A. Primarily responsible for determining the time and effort required to deliver a capacity
B. Determines all assumptions and constraints about the solutions
C. Approves the project budgets
D. Provide detailed process knowledge on key business areas
- What has been defined when all strategy analysis tasks are complete?
A. Business Goals and objectives
B. Business requirements and Solution Approach
C. Business case and required capabilities
D. Solution scope and Solution approach.
- What is the primary deliverable from preparing the decision package step?
A. Executive briefing
B. Portfolio analysis report
C. Business case
D. Strategy analysis report
- Which Business Analysis technique allows the BA to discover and confirm business requirements, leveraging also on existing materials?
A. State diagrams
B. Process Modeling
C. Document Analysis
D. SWOT analysis
- Which of the following is an example of a business problem statement?
A. Helpdesk wait an average of 30 second per query, resulting in average of 10% longer calls than the industry average
B. Speeding up the problem database search time will save the company approximately $300,00 per year and prevent increase in staff
C. We need to speed up the query search time in the program database
D. To increase productivity in the helpdesk, we need to speed up the query search time in the program database
- The following are inputs to both define business case and define solution scope tasks except:
C. Business need
D. Stakeholder Concerns
- You have been asked to make recommendation for an initiative that the organization is thinking about undertaking. The organization has provided some initial estimates and high level cost. What techniques might you use in preparing your recommendation?
A. Risk analysis, SWOT analysis and Functional decomposition
B. Estimation, Metrics and Key performance indicators, Vendor assessment
C. Decision analysis, SWOT and Business architecture
D. Vendor assessment, Enterprise architecture and Functional decomposition
- You are the business analyst for your organization (XXY Company) and you are currently reviewing a document, the content of the document include (but not limited to);
• XXY Company has 30 Business Analysts
• XXY Company currently has the capacity to work on 6 large projects simultaneously
• XXY Company has requirement configuration software that can handle up to 50,000 requirements.
The name of this document is?
B. Solution Performance Assessment
C. Enterprise Architecture
D. Business Case